Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Monday 2 November 2015

Romaine Salad with Basil and Nuts



Salad! Let me turn the page and find something else! I used to feel this way too. My mom always serves the dinner with a side of salad and I always used to have some excuse for not eating it. In fact I started eating salad only a couple of years back while dieting to lose weight. We don't have these amazing salad dressing options in India so eating salad of the same taste gets boring after a while. But it's true that a bowl of salad everyday is the secret to a healthy life.

I love eating and trying new recipes. I feel it's always good to include a healthy and simple side in my meal. I pick up pre washed leafs and low calorie dressings. I change the salad ingredients for different textures, colors, and flavors. Sometimes I add Fruits, Nuts or Proteins. Other times I change the taste of the salad just by adding a different Herb or Dressing.

When we are hungry we just feel like eating whatever is in front of us. If we start our meal with a salad it can satisfy up to 60% of our hunger, leaving little room for other food. It also fulfills the water and fiber requirements of the body. Salads are cool, crunchy, and fun to eat. I read this somewhere that the more colors you include in your meals the more nutritious it becomes. A combination of green, red and yellow looks appealing to the eyes and contains more nutrients than eating a bowl of lettuce. I never add cheese or mayo in my salad. There are loads of low calorie dressings in the market, which are healthier options.

So, let's dig in!!








Ingredients: Serves 2

  • Romaine lettuce - ½ package (10 ounces) 
  • Cherry or Grape Tomatoes - ½ cup, (cut in halves)
  • Bell Pepper - 1/8th of medium sized each of Green, Red and Yellow, thinly sliced
  • Cucumber - ½ cup, thinly sliced
  • Thousand Island Dressing - 1/8 cup 
  • Dried Basil - 1 teaspoon
  • Black Pepper - (freshly ground and as per taste)
  • Mixed Nuts and Raisins - ½ cup 


Directions:

  • Mix salad greens and vegetables in a large bowl.
  • Add the Nuts and Raisins.
  • Sprinkle Black Pepper and Basil over salad.
  • Drizzle the dressing just before serving.


Tip:

  • I usually get 2-3 types of dressings and use them in rotation. Also, I add the dressing in my salad plate not in the whole bowl. This helps me to re-use the leftover salad. I put it in an airtight zip lock bag and eat it the next day for lunch. Or add it to a sandwich. 






Salad with nuts, Baked Salmon and Chicken soup.

Debarshi prepared the Salmon and soup. He came home from office and said that he wanted to cook our dinner. I just love these tasty surprises.


2 comments:

  1. #lifewithoutalu #foodloverravi #sharphome #maryberry #BBCFood #glassofwineforme #thekolkatabuzz #imsomartha #salad #recipe
    #wholefoods #nutrition #diet #calories #weightloss #vegetarian #vegetables #vegetarianrecipes #vegetarianfood #feedfeed
    #romaine #healthy #instafood #healthyfood #delicious #cleaneating #eeeeeats #romainesalad #saladrecipe #salads

    ReplyDelete
  2. #lifewithoutalu #homemade #homemadefood #delicious #deliciousfood #recipeonblog #crunchy #fresh #freshsalad #salad #salads #saladrecipe #saladsofinstagram #saladideas #romaine #romainesalad #basil #nuts #grapetomatoes #cherrytomatoes #bellpeppers #bellpepper #cucumber #dressing #saladdressing #raisins

    ReplyDelete

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.