Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Friday 6 November 2015

Steamed Broccoli



I always admire people who know how to take care of themselves. It shows their independence, self-reliance and self-determination. Before our marriage both Debarshi and I were living alone away from our families. I was a trainer in IBM (in New Delhi) and Debarshi was doing his Doctorate from the University of Alabama. This was a stage in both of our lives when we discovered that cooking is fun. It’s a great experience to live with a person who values good food. Debarshi knows quite a lot about cooking not only Gourmet Meals but also quick Healthy ones.

The Steamed Broccoli is one of his favorite veggies. Personally I am not very fond of eating raw or steamed vegetables, especially Broccoli, but it’s always good to know how to prepare them for your loved one.  

I had never cooked Steamed Broccoli or other tough veggie in the microwave while I was in India. I found that it’s easy, quick, and effective. It doesn’t require any prepping and it just takes two minutes to prepare this amazingly healthy side.

I read this wonderful quote somewhere, “I really regret eating healthy TODAY - said No One ever.” This is exactly what I say these days. Following a diet plan is not only for our body. When we keep eating a healthy diet somewhere it soothes our body and mind and brings a calmness and peace in us.



Ingredients:
  • Broccoli - 1 pound (cut into bite-size florets)


Directions:
  • Put the Broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl.
  • Add 2-3 tablespoons of water.
  • Cover tightly with a plastic wrap (or a ceramic or stoneware plate).
  • Microwave on HIGH (regular power) for 2 minutes, check, re-cover and put back in for another 1 
  • minute if it's not done yet.
  • Take the lid off so it stops steaming but be careful of the hot steam.
  • Add Salt and Pepper after the Broccoli has been cooked. You can also add a dash of Butter.
  • Serve Hot.

My husband is a foodie. Not only he likes to eat good food but also loves to cook. He is especially good at cooking gourmet Indian recipes. The day I landed in the U.S, he had prepared Chicken 65 and Pulao for me. This was the first time I was having Chicken 65 and it was as good as from a restaurant. As much as I loved the meal, this put me in a dilemma as it’s said, ‘the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.’ I realized that it’s going to be very difficult to win my husband’s heart 
because he is a good cook himself. However, Debarshi has always appreciated my cooking especially the fact that I can cook good household Bengali meals that he really used to miss before our marriage.

The best part about Debarshi is, if there is something, which he wants to eat, and which he can cook, he prepares it himself. There are a couple of recipes in this cookbook, which are his specialty. You can call this my biased opinion but the famous saying also goes as, ‘food tastes better when someone else makes it.’ I feel, when Debarshi cooks something for me; the very idea that he has prepared it 
especially for me makes it so special. It triggers a feeling of love and togetherness. Of course there are dishes, which he prefers me to cook.

Food is such an important part of our lives. We prefer to visit places, which have great food to offer. We try to select hotels to stay with a great breakfast menu. I feel that a trip becomes memorable when we become a part of that place and for me that happen when we eat a local food or a specialty. The best way to learn more recipes is by eating new meals and then trying them on our own.

(This photo was taken at Bubba Gump Shrimp at Gatlinburg. The highlighted dish is the Shrimper’s Heaven - Hand Breaded Coconut Shrimp, Grilled Shrimp, Crisp Golden Shrimp and Tempura Shrimp with Fries and dipping sauces like Tangy Asian, Cajun Marmalade and Zesty Cocktail. This was the first time we had this appetizer and now, every time we think about Bubba Gump Shrimp we talk about this amazing appetizer.)


2 comments:

  1. #lifewithoutalu #foodloverravi #maryberry #BBCFood #foodnetwork #bonappetitmag #foodandwine #saveurmag #cookinglight #cooksillustrated
    #steamed #steamedbroccoli #eatmoreveggies #rawveggies #nourishbowl #healthydinner #wholefoods #broccoli #vegetable #dinnermeals
    #healthyeating #nutritionalfood #weightloss #fitnessrecipe #healthyliving #eatyourbroccoli #vegetablerecipes #lowcarb #lowcarbrecipes #keto

    ReplyDelete
  2. #lifewithoutalu #steamed #broccoli #steamedbroccoli #healthyfood #healthyeating #sides #quickside #quickrecipes #delicious #deliciousfood #lowcalorie #vegetables #veggies #lowcarb #lowcarbrecipes #keto #ketomeals #ketorecipes #recipeonblog #homemade

    ReplyDelete

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.