Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Sunday 15 May 2022

My Non-Traditional Sukhto (Bengali recipe: Mixed Vegetables)


I love our bengali cuisine and not only because I am a bengali, born and raised with bengali foods but also because it is truly something special! You will find all types of flavors, vegetarian, non vegetarian dishes, appetizers, desserts and many other courses in the Bengali cuisine. Did you know that in Bengali cuisine we serve food in courses rather than all at once? Does this seem familiar? If you are thinking yes, then you must be thinking of French cuisine because it is the only other cuisine to do this. The modern service of French cuisine - À La Russe Style does the same thing - serves food in courses rather than all at once.

When I think of Sukhto, I remember weekend afternoons at paparbari (my maternal grandparent’s home). Both my grandparents used to cook so much! I cook everyday and I know cooking several courses within a few hours is such a hectic task! But, they absolutely used to love it. They used to keep several appetizers and drinks on the table so that whoever entered the house could start talking and eating. The lunch was always a bit late and the food was always served in the à la russe style, starting with bhat, Saag Bhaja, sukhto and ghee. Then the second course was always Bhaja, Dal, Chochchori and bhat. The next course was of course Mangsho bhat, this always came with a warning, to save some room for the fish curry which was either jhal or kaliya. We often used to go in-to food coma after eating all these delicious courses. After all the eating was over, because everyone was so full, we used to just sit for a while and talk, laugh, gossip or maybe tease someone. Then everyone used to get up and clean up while our grandparents would ask someone to bring in the final course (or rather courses). We used to have so much dessert! Starting with custard and ice cream to various types of sweets and puddings. My didubhai (grandma) used to make most of the desserts at home, herself. Then more talks, laughs and then someone would suggest watching something on tv or maybe someone would take a nap, all together in that one room.

These memories are still so precious to me that I keep writing about them whenever I can. My grandparents passed away some years back but I still feel their love through all these recipes. I hope somewhere someone is reading this article and reminiscing in their memories as well. Food is such a valuable part of our life right? We do so much more while we are eating and sharing food - we make memories.

A few weeks back, I was talking with my mom and we were discussing all these family lunches when I said, it has been a while since we have had Sukhto. Both Debarshi and I love sukhto but we have a very different relationship with it. We love bitter gourds in general, however, neither of us like bitter gourds in sukhto. You may find it hard to believe and I am sure some of my readers must be very upset because bitter gourd or Korola is one of the most important ingredients of Sukhto. But it is rather difficult to have that perfect balance of sweet and bitter and often people add too much bitter gourd (along with seeds) and that is just not the way we like Sukhto. So if you like bitter gourd, feel free to add some, however, if you are like me, try this recipe and I promise you will love it!

And hence the name - The Non-Traditional Sukhto because I have omitted an important ingredient (so some foodies will say) from the recipe. I think it is important to improvise, to make a recipe as per your taste and only then it is your recipe.

Sukhto is a delicious mixed vegetable dish. It is prepared with potatoes, pumpkin, eggplant and radish. A paste of ginger and poppy seeds (some people add mustard) is also added in it which brings a gourmet, sweet flavor in it. The addition of Ghee and Panch Fhoron makes it all the more special. 

Bitter Gourd or not, this recipe is very special and close to my heart and I hope it makes a special place in your heart (and belly) too.


Ingredients:
  • Panch Fhoron - 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon
  • Ginger - 2 inches, peeled
  • Poppy Seeds - 2 tablespoons
  • Fennel Seeds - 1 tablespoon
  • Potato - 1 cup, peeled and cut in small cubes, washed
  • Pumpkin - 1 cup, peeled and cut in small cubes, washed
  • Eggplant - 1 cup, cut in small cubes, washed
  • Radish - 1 cup, peeled and cut in small cubes, washed
  • Canola Oil - 1 tablespoon
  • Salt - 1 teaspoon
  • Coriander Powder - 1 teaspoon
  • Sugar - 2 teaspoons
  • Vadi - ½ cup (use small moong dal vadi not the masala ones)
  • Ghee - 1 ½ tablespoons

Directions:
  • Grind 1 tablespoon of Panch Fhoron to make a smooth powder. I use my NutriBullet (milling blade) for this.
  • Make a paste of Ginger, Poppy Seeds and Fennel Seeds with some water. I use my NutriBullet (extractor blade) for this.
  • Heat a pressure cooker over medium high heat.
  • Add the Canola Oil in it, wait for about 30 seconds for it to heat up.
  • Add the Vadis and fry till they are reddish in color. Transfer to a bowl/ plate.
  • Temper with the Panch Fhoron seeds (1 teaspoon).
  • When the seeds crackle, add the vegetables (Potato, Pumpkin, Eggplant and Radish).
  • Fry till they are golden in color.
  • Now add the Ginger, Poppy Seeds and Fennel Seeds paste. Wash the blender cup with 1 cup of water and add in the cooker.
  • Add the Salt, Coriander Powder and Sugar in it.
  • Cover the cooker with the lid. Cook for 2-3 whistles over medium heat.
  • Allow it to cool down so that the lid opens on its own. 
  • Heat a temper pan or small pan with Ghee, add the powdered Panch Fhoron in it.
  • Heat till the Ghee melts, we don't want the spices to burn.
  • Add in the cooked Sukhto (carefully), mix gently and serve immediately with steamed rice.
  • Don't forget to enjoy!


Some more delicious Bengali recipes you may like:

1 comment:

  1. #lifewithoutalu #recipeontheblog #recipeonblog #homemade #sukto #mixedvegetables #mixedveggies #bengalicuisine #bengalifood #bengalifoods #bengalifoodie #yummyfood #yummyfoods #yummyfoodie #yummy😋😋 #newrecipe #newrecipes #greattaste

    ReplyDelete

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.