Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Sunday 18 July 2021

Alu Shimla Mirch Tamatar Sabji (Potato with Bell Peppers in a Tomato gravy)


Debarshi and I celebrated our 8th marriage anniversary this year. Can you imagine! 8 years! It seems only yesterday that we got married and I was packing my bags. It was such a huge decision for me. Leaving everything I had, to be married. I had to quit my job, leave my friends, my parents, my sweet little sister. At that time Debarshi was still doing his PHD so he had to come back to US right after the wedding. I came after almost three months. And guess what? He had cooked for me! Yes, this man still cooks for me almost every week and whenever he can find time but that first homemade dinner was so special.


After a few days when I got familiar with the kitchen and everything else, I started cooking. We would get fresh vegetables and I would cook some North Indian dish with it. Then we would pair them with roti or Paratha and enjoy a delicious homemade meal. This Sabji is special because it reminds me of that time when we were living in a small one-bedroom apartment. 


Since we bought our home last year, Debarshi has been working in the backyard. He has a made an herb garden and a small vegetable garden. I have used the bell peppers and tomato of our garden in this recipe which made it all the more special to us. 

So tonight, try this recipe. I hope you also make some memories like we have.
 

Ingredients:
  • Bell Peppers – 3, medium, washed, core removed, sliced lengthwise
  • Potato - 1 big russet, washed and cut into cubes
  • Tomato – 1, medium, cut into cubes
  • Onion – ¼, red, chopped finely
  • Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
  • Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
  • Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
  • Garam Masala – ½ teaspoon 
  • Dry Mango Powder – ½ teaspoon
  • Mustard Oil – 2 tablespoons 
  • Salt – to taste (about ½ teaspoon)


Directions:
  • Heat a big pan over medium high heat.
  • Add the Mustard Oil, when the oil starts smoking, reduce the heat to low and add the Cumin Seeds.
  • As soon as the seeds start crackling, add the Potatoes.
  • Increase the heat to medium and sauté the Potatoes till they look crisp and the color changes to golden. If they are making the oil jump, add a little Turmeric Powder and stir to mix.
  • Add the Onion. Fry till they turn golden- golden red.
  • Add the Bell Peppers.
  • Sauté all the vegetables for 3-4 minutes then add the Tomato with the spices (Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder and Salt) and mix well.
  • Cover and cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
  • Add the Garam Masala and Dry Mango Powder and mix well. Cover and cook till the Potatoes are well cooked. Press a piece of Potato with the spatula to check, if it’s cooked it will mash or break.
  • Delicious Sabji is ready. Serve it with hot Roti, crispy Parathas or with Rice and Dal.



1 comment:

  1. #lifewithoutalu #homemade #homemadefood #alu #aloo #potato #potatoes #shimlamirch #bellpepper #bellpeppers #capsicum #capsicums #garden #gardening #vegetablegarden #veggies #veggiegarden #veggie #veggierecipes #tomato #tomatoes #tamatar #sabji #gravy #northindianfood #loveoffood #holytrinity #paratha #parathas #roti

    ReplyDelete

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.