Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Thursday 18 July 2019

Bhindi Pyaz (Okra and Onion stir-fry)



Bhindi Pyaz is one of the easiest stir-fries you will ever learn. Bhindi is the Hindi name for Okra. We also call it Lady Finger in India. It is one of my favorite vegetables. My mom always says that I share my love of okra with both my grand fathers which always makes me feel proud. I never knew my paternal grand dad. He passed away long back when my father was just a kid in high school. So, when I am told I have something in common with him it is so special. And I loved my maternal grand father (Papa). He was the joy of the whole family and I miss him so much. I think the relationship between a kid and their grand parents is priceless. So, if you are lucky to have your grand parents, visit/ talk with them as much as you can. I am glad I spent as much time as I could with Papa. He really encouraged me to write. He used to take such a special interest in my writing and I really think that without his encouragement I would not have taken my writing as seriously as I do today.

Coming back to Bhindi Pyaz, this is a North Indian recipe and hence is frequently prepared at my parent’s home. While you can find okra at any grocery shop I have often found them overpriced. Hence, this is something I prefer to get from the Indian stores. Making this stir-fry is an absolute fuss free project. Just make sure that you are cooking the okra well so that all the slime cuts. 

Serve this Bhindi Pyaz with plain Paratha. You can also serve it with Luchi/ Rice/ Roti and Arhar Dal.



Ingredients:
  • Okra: 3 cups, do not use the pre-chopped frozen bags
  • Onion: 2 cups, sliced
  • Green Chili: 2, slit in half
  • Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
  • Red Chili powder: ¼ teaspoon
  • Mustard Oil: 2 tablespoons
  • Salt: ½ teaspoon



Lets Prep:
  • Wash the Okra and let the water drain out completely. Spread it on a plate and pat it dry. Leave it for 10 minutes.
  • Remove the heads and tails of Okras.
  • Now cut the Okra into medium pieces. Do not cut too small as it will make it slimier while cooking. Also, keep an eye out for worms, they are not very common but better to be safe.
  • Now we are ready to cook.


Directions:
  • Heat a pot on high flame.
  • Add the Mustard Oil in it. When the oil begins to smoke, reduce the heat to medium low so that it cools off a bit. This is done to remove the pungent taste and smell of the Mustard Oil.
  • Temper the Oil with Green Chilis.
  • Add the Onion in it. Add a pinch of salt in it so that it caramelizes. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the okra now. Mix. Increase the heat to high. This is done to dry the sliminess of the okra. Stir occasionally. Do not cover the pan while cooking as it will only make the Okra slimier. 


  • Once the okra looks a little fried (about 5 minutes) add the Turmeric, Red Chili powder and Salt and mix well.
  • Reduce the heat to medium now, keep stirring occasionally till all the slime dries up.
  • Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
  • Bhindi Pyaz is ready! Serve hot with Plain Paratha/Luchi/ Namkeen Puri/ Roti/ Rice and dal.




Love okra? Try these recipes as well:

1 comment:

  1. #lifewithoutalu #foodloverravi #sharphome #maryberry #BBCFood #glassofwineforme #thekolkatabuzz #imsomartha #bhindi #bhindirecipe
    #okra #okrarecipes #indian #indianfoodrecipes #indianrecipe #desifood #homecooking #homecooked #restaurantstyle #indianfoodblogger
    #onion #healthyfood #foodie #thefeedfeed #healthy #food52grams #food52 #instagood #buzzfeedfood #foodstagram

    ReplyDelete

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.