Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Tuesday 19 May 2020

Soa Baigan Alu (Dill sautéed with Eggplant and Potato)



I will start with the update on my pregnancy. I am proud to announce that I am now the mommy of a cute little baby girl. The contractions finally started on Friday April 24th (4 days after my due date) around 1 am. At first they were irregular and far apart but really intense. I am telling you, if you are also a first time mama and wondering if you are having real contractions, you will know. My tip: if you are able to sleep through them, they are probably not real contractions, at least that’s what happened with me. I finally woke up Debarshi around 4:15 am and we called the hospital around 7 am. The on-call doctor asked me to time them and reach the hospital when they were 5 minutes apart. However, in less than an hour, the contractions started getting so strong that we decided to go to the hospital just for some mental peace. We thought that if they send us back then we will know that we have some time.

Upon reaching the hospital we were sent to the triage room. The nurse checked me and told us that although we were still hours away from the birthing process, sending me back home would be futile. She consulted with the on-call doctor and told us that it will be better for me to stay there. I won't lie, I was scared at that point because the contractions were getting hot and heavy and I was feeling so many emotions at the same time. We made video calls to our family members and friends and although they say distractions help, I am not sure I was able to understand anything that was going around me at that time. I calmed down a lot after taking the epidural and even rested for a couple of hours. When the nurse finally told me that I was ready to push, I was overjoyed. I am sure all parents feel the same way, after all everything revolves around your baby as soon as you start planning them. It is a mixture of joy, anxiety, adrenaline and fear. I pushed for three hours and Debarshi was with me all the time, holding my hand, giving me water, encouraging me. When finally, I heard baby Prisha, I was overjoyed. It was like all of a sudden I was so tired, happy and relaxed. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world. We had waited such a long time to see her and now she was here! Our very own bundle of joy, only this bundle was crying and we were crying with joy with her.

Debarshi in the hospital with baby Prisha (a couple hours old here)

Babies don’t come with an instruction manual and the whole jump from just being a pregnant couple to being parents is a monumental leap. It has been four weeks now since we brought her home and it has been the most wonderful, challenging period of our lives. We have learned and grown so much in this time. Being a parent changes you in so many beautiful ways. I am truly thankful to god for blessing us with such a gift.

I will try to post more on the blog, as you know right now it is a choice between sleep/ food and other things of interest. Baby comes first and even though I would love to write more, I may just have to postpone it till I feel settled in my new role as mommy. Now let’s discuss today’s recipe (before I decide to shut down my laptop for the 100th time and catch some sleep!): Soa Baigan Alu (Dill with Eggplant and Potato).

First let’s discuss Dill: Dill is an aromatic herb with delicate, feathery green leaves. If you have never had dill before, it’s a must try. Dill is also known as dill weed and is a member of the parsley family. You can use dried dill in certain recipes however, it is mostly used fresh because the dried herb loses its flavor rapidly. 

Dill is often used in potato salad, omelets, breads, lamb, meats, vegetables and chicken to add a unique taste and fragrance. It pairs well with all types of sea foods especially salmon. Dill is also used in dips, spreads, dressings and soups. 

If you love Dill and eggplant, this recipe will win your heart. Prepared with mustard oil this is a rustic North Indian recipe and can be enjoyed with roti or Paratha.



There is really nothing complicated about this recipe. The only thing which will take some time is peeling the dill leaves from the stems. My favorite time to do that is while watching TV – Multi-Tasking rules! You can easily find Dill (Soa) at any grocery or Indian store. The leaves have a beautiful aroma in them and do take the dish up a notch.  

You can also add Methi (fenugreek leaves) in this dish but I find peeling two different types of leaves for one single dish too much work, however, it is completely up to you. Just make sure to wash the Methi leaves thoroughly.

If you have a bunch of dill in your fridge, it is time to use it up! Try the recipe then post your comments and photos using the hashtag #lifewithoutalu


Ingredients:
  • Potato - 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes, washed and drained
  • Eggplant – 1 big, cut into small cubes, washed and drained
  • Soa Saag (Dill) – a bunch, peeled, washed thoroughly
  • Methi Saag – a bunch, peeled, washed thoroughly (optional)
  • Mustard Oil – about 2-3 tablespoons
  • Green Chili – 1-2, slit in half lengthwise 
  • Panch Fhoron – ½ teaspoon
  • Asafoetida – a pinch
  • Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
  • Salt – ½ teaspoon
  • Red Chili Powder – ¼ teaspoon
  • Sugar – ½ teaspoon

Directions: 
  • Heat a wok on medium- high heat.
  • Add the Mustard Oil in it.
  • When the oil starts smoking, lower the heat and add the Green Chili, Panch Fhoron and Asafoetida in it.  
  • When the spices start sputtering, add the Potatoes in it. Fry till they turn golden red in color then turn down the heat to low. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes. This will completely cook the potatoes and prevent the eggplant from overcooking.
  • Press a piece of potato with the spatula to check if it has been cooked through. Then turn the heat on high and add the Eggplant, Soa and Methi (if adding).
  • Fry for about 5 minutes then add the Salt, Turmeric, Red Chili Powder and Sugar. Mix well.
  • Do not cover the wok at this stage. Continue frying till the vegetables look fried and reddish in color.
  • Serve hot with Roti, Luchi or Paratha.


2 comments:

  1. #lifewithoutalu #maryberry #BBCFood #favoritefood #foodfeed #dill #eeeeeats #eatfamous #deliciousfood #favoritefoods
    #rusticfood #foodphotography #nourishingtraditions #ontheblog #feedfeed #foodgawker #hautescuisines #cookfromscratch #f52grams #quarantinecooking
    #thecookfeed #instafood #quarantineandchill #cookforjoy #foodfood #sharphome #recipes #newmama #northindianfood #kansascityblogger

    @halfbakedharvest @sugarandsaltcookies @inspiralized @food52 @rainbowplantlife @linda_lomelino @chefjacqueslamerde @newforkcity @_foodstories_ @naturallyella @foodiecrush @breakfastinsydney @gimmesomeoven @davidlebovitz @cookieandkate @howsweeteats @cookingclassy @rachlmansfield @feedyoursoull @damn_delicious @avantgardevegan @hotforfood @whatsgabycookin @dailyfoodfeed @thenaughtyfork @traderjoeslist @new_fork_city @smittenkitchen @skinnytaste @whole30recipes @minimalistbaker @deliciouslyella

    ReplyDelete
  2. #lifewithoutalu #homemade #homemadefood #delicious #deliciousfood #recipeonblog #yummy #yummyfood #yummyyummy #vegetarian #vegetarianrecipes #vegetarianfood #indianvegetarian #indianvegetarianfood #soa #dill #baigan #eggplant #brinjal #brinjalrecipes #alu #potato #potatoes #stirfry #stirfried #stirfryveggies #veggies #veggie #vegetables

    ReplyDelete

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.