Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Friday 21 February 2020

Quick Egg Chow Mein



I am now at 32 weeks of my pregnancy. Yes, 8th month. I have been gaining weight steadily and the doctor says everything is going great. Well, as much as I am enjoying this time with unlimited snacking options and a happy kicking baby, my life is not all gold. I have developed carpal tunnel in both my hands and have to wear a splint at night. It’s helping but I still feel pain, swelling and numbness in my fingers. My ankles get swollen everyday and several of my shoes have gotten tight. Sleep is getting a bit difficult at night. My naughty baby wakes up and starts moving right when I am about to sleep. Sometimes she is right on my bladder which means multiple bathroom trips. We have also started doing the other important stuff like taking the maternity navigation tours of nearby hospitals, taking childbirth education classes and registering for the things we need for our baby. It’s so exciting and overwhelming at the same time. I am sure all the first time mamas feel the same way. Only eight more weeks to go till we hold our very own bundle of joy in our hands! Yay!


The recipe I am going to discuss today is one of my absolute favorites. I prepare this whenever I am running out of brunch ideas. This sure saves a whole lot of prepping or the ultimate option of eating out. This is delicious, quick to prepare and filling. My mom follows the same recipe but she doesn’t use any white vinegar. She instead, adds oregano which in our home is not one of Debarshi’s favorite herbs so I have improvised the recipe. Oregano or not this recipe is a must try!


Growing up I have had this chow mein so many times that I have lost count. It is just so much easier and quicker to prepare when you have kids at home and everyday they are demanding for something different. You can easily increase the amount because well, all you need for this recipe are three things: Noodle, eggs and onion. Maybe it was the convenience of preparing this recipe that urged my mom to prepare this time and again especially when I was having friends over. 


Any type of plain noodle will work for this recipe. You can use angel hair, egg or wheat noodles as well. Just make sure the noodle is not too thick because we will be frying it with the eggs and onion. The best part about the recipe is the time, from prep to serve it takes less than 30 minutes.

When I am stir-frying, my favorite utensil is a wok. It just gives me so much extra open space to fry the ingredients and of course it is big enough to cook for two or even three. If I don’t have my wok at hand I prefer to use a big pot because that also serves the same purpose. This chow mein recipe is very dear to me because of its sheer simplicity. Just a few ingredients are required and it gets ready so fast! Unlike many other chow mein recipes you don’t even have to chop ginger or garlic or make any sauce. The white vinegar adds just the right amount of zest while the black pepper packs the heat.

So, try this recipe then share your photos and comments using my hashtag #lifewithoutalu

Ingredients:
  • Noodles or Angel hair pasta – ½ pack
  • Onion - 2 cups, julienned
  • Black pepper - for seasoning (about 1 teaspoon)
  • Salt - to taste (about ½ teaspoon)
  • Canola Oil – 4 tablespoons
  • Eggs - 4
  • White Vinegar – 1 tablespoon

Directions:
  • Cook the noodle as per the directions given on the packet. Make sure to check it frequently so that it doesn’t overcook. Transfer the cooked noodle to a colander, and give it a quick rinse with cold water.
  • Heat a non-stick wok/ pot on medium heat.
  • After a couple of seconds, pour the Oil in the wok. After 15-20 seconds, add the Onion in the wok and sprinkle a dash of Salt and Black Pepper in it (Dash = 1/8 teaspoon).
  • Fry the onion till it turns golden red in color, in the meantime take a bowl and crack the eggs in it.
  • Whip them up with a fork then add them in the wok.
  • After about a minute, sprinkle a dash of Salt and Black Pepper on the eggs and break them.
  • Fry the eggs till they turn golden red in color.
  • Add the noodle in batches and reduce the heat to low. Fry them lightly (using a rubber spatula) so that the extra moisture dries up. Make sure not to fry them too much because they will turn dry and brittle. Adjust the Salt and Pepper.
  • After 3-5 minutes, add the White Vinegar. This will bring that tangy flavor in the chow mein. Switch off the heat and mix well. Serve immediately.

Tip: You can keep the leftover chow mein in the fridge and just heat it in the microwave for later consumption. Easy Peasy!


Recommended reading:

2 comments:

  1. #lifewithoutalu #maryberry #BBCFood #chowmein #foodfeed #pregnancycravings #eeeeeats #eatfamous #deliciousfood #Delish
    #chowmeinnoodles #foodphotography #pregnancycraving #noodles #gourmet #authentic #madeathome #Homemade #quickbreakfast #f52grams
    #thecookfeed #instafood #easybreakfast #brunch #foodfood #sharphome #recipes #eggnoodles #easyrecipes #IndianFood

    @skyemcalpine @kimberleyhasselbrink @ashrod @dollyandoatmeal @ladyandpups @evakomasflores @alisoneroman @gatherandfeast @saladforpresident @lindsaymaitland @foodnetwork @foodandwine @bonappetitmag @saveurmag @cooksillustrated @cocorestaurantnyc @cookinglight @tasteofhome @thenakedfoodaddict @bbcgoodfood @real_simple @gatherjournal @ediblebrooklyn @_everyday_food @eatingwell @vegetariantimesmag @sarah_c_owens @whatforbreakfast @dennistheprescott @artfuldesperado @issycroker @judy.kim @thaliaho @mollyyeh @bliu07 @xlbcr @silverspies @julskitchen @blondieandrye @sherreenl @minimalistbaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. #lifewithoutalu #quick #quickrecipes #quickrecipe #egg #eggs #chowmein #pasta #pastalover #pastarecipe #pastarecipes #noodles #noodle #capsicums #capsicum #bellpeppers #bellpepper #recipeonblog #breakfast #breakfastideas #whitevinegar

    ReplyDelete

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.