Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Monday 4 September 2023

Vegetarian Poha Style Chow Mein/ Pasta


Poha is one of the popular breakfast items in many Indian homes. Poha is dry like cereal. It is prepared by parboiling the rice grains and then flattening them. This process makes them easy to consume with very little to no cooking. Just like oats, the flakes of Poha swell when added to liquid, whether hot or cold. You can make them sweet or savory by cooking them in water, milk or any other liquids. Dry Poha is available in packets at most of the local Indian stores.


My mom loves making Poha with vegetables and peanuts. The vegetables give nutrition and the peanuts add a nice crunch. Traditionally curry leaves are added for a more authentic flavor. She also makes a sweet version with coconut, dates and chopped cashews or almonds for the crunch. 


My parents recently downsized and moved to Gurugram (to be closer to my sister). It was a little weird for me to go to Allahabad (my hometown) and not stay at our old house. However, after I got over that weird and awkward phase, I realized one thing, my parents were finally happy. They didn’t have to waste their time, energy and money taking care of the old ancestral house. For the first time in their life, they were actually having fun and not getting worried about useless stuff. It made me happy to see them like that.


On the morning of our flight (back to the US), my mom prepared Poha for us and although I have never been a fan of flattened rice, I loved it. I even decided to try the recipe. However, when I went to the Indian store to buy Poha and saw a big pack, it occurred to me, who is going to eat all that Poha! Not me!


A few days later, I boiled some pasta and accidentally cooked it a little more than al-dente. I couldn’t prepare Shrimp Scampi with over-boiled pasta! But Poha…that was something worth trying. So, I told Debarshi that I was going to do a little experiment and this delicious dish was born!


So, the trick is to cut the vegetables in small cubes so that they cook quickly and taste deliciously fried. Fry the pasta for several minutes till it develops a beautiful fried texture. If you can’t add peanuts, maybe add some cashews or almonds for that crunch. Curry leaves are best for this dish but if you don’t have them cilantro works great.


Try this twist on Poha and I am sure you will end up with a delicious creation of your own.


 

Ingredients:

  • Grapeseed Oil - 2 tablespoons
  • Mustard Seed - ½ teaspoon
  • Cumin Seed - ½ teaspoon
  • Onion - ½ cup, finely chopped
  • Green Chili - 1-2, finely chopped (optional)
  • Roasted Peanuts - ½ cup
  • Potato - 1 medium, peeled and cut into small cubes
  • Peas - ½ cup
  • Tomato - 1 medium, cut into small cubes
  • Salt - ½ teaspoon
  • Garlic powder - ½ teaspoon
  • Chicken Tikka Masala - 1 tablespoon
  • Angel Hair or any thin pasta - boiled and drained, 4-5 oz
  • Cilantro - a handful, washed and chopped



Directions:

  • Boil the pasta according to the package description. 
  • Heat a wide skillet/ pan over medium heat.
  • Add the Grapeseed Oil in it.
  • After a few seconds when the Oil is hot enough to move around the pan, temper it with Mustard Seed and Cumin Seed.
  • When the seeds crackle, add the Potatoes. Stir, cover and cook.
  • When the Potatoes turn golden, add the Peanuts. Mix. Cover and cook.
  • After 2-3 minutes, add the Onion. Mix. Cover and cook.
  • When the Onion turns golden, add the Tomato and Green Chili. Mix. Cover and cook.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes. Add the Peas, mix. Cover and cook.
  • After 2-3 minutes, add the Salt, Garlic powder and Chicken Tikka Masala. Mix. Cover and cook.
  • When the potatoes are completely cooked, add the pasta.
  • Keep frying till the pasta looks beautifully fried.
  • Garnish with Cilantro and serve immediately.



Love Pasta recipes? Try these as well:


Try these breakfast recipes as well:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.