Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Tuesday 3 September 2019

Sour Cream Dip



For Debarshi’s birthday this year, I baked a Devil’s Food cake. It turned out really good. Believe me I wish I would have been able to save another piece for myself. Anyway, I got a big pack of sour cream for the cake and after baking it, I realized I still had almost half of the pack left. So, I decided to make a spicy, tangy dip for the party. Thankfully everyone loved it and I thought I should share the recipe, because as it happens, if I don’t share a recipe on time, I just forget about it and then it gets impossible to re-create that recipe.

I served this dip with tortilla chips but you can also throw in some veggies, crackers or other types of chips. Make sure to whip up the dip a few hours before you intend to serve it so that the dip gets cold in the fridge and the flavors blend together nicely. Keep it in an airtight plastic container in the fridge. You can also freeze it, since it doesn’t have any yogurt there is no chance for any runny liquid.

Serve this delish dip at your next party, get-together, game day, family BBQ or ladies night. This makes a perfect munching food and can be enjoyed for hours. If you use readymade dip packets for the seasoning, then this is the time to try the spices which are already in your pantry. Yes, you may not have Chaat masala or Cumin but I am sure if you love Indian food, those spices will be a wonderful addition to your pantry. You will be saving money on those readymade dip packets plus avoid any possible preservatives.



Personally, I don’t like those recipes where you have to use an entire big container of sour cream to make a dip. As you know in our home, we are only two people. If Debarshi and I want to enjoy some chips and dip, then why do I have to use an entire container? So, I prefer smaller quantities which are easy to experiment and can be multiplied if need be. Homemade is the way to go both quality and quantity wise.

Another advantage of serving this cool dip is, if someone starts feeling the heat of my spicy Pakoras or my special potato/ sausage pastries then they can always take a break with this dip and calm themselves. Although I take care not to add any extra heat (red chili powder) in any dish whenever guests/ kids are coming over still having an instant back up plan is always good.

When you are preparing the dip for a large number of people make sure to divide it into 2-3 portions. That way, you can easily refill whenever the dip is all used up. And everyone will be getting fresh cold dip even after several hours.

Before we move on to the ingredients list, I would like to express my gratitude to all my readers. I read each and every comment and reply whenever I can. Please bookmark my blog and share it with every foodie you know. Post on my Instagram #lifewithoutalu with the photo and your comments/ input.



Ingredients:
  • Cream Cheese - 8 ounces, room temperature
  • Sour Cream – 1 cup, plus more if necessary
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper – ½ teaspoon 
  • Garlic Powder – ½ teaspoon
  • Chaat Masala – ½ teaspoon
  • Roasted Cumin Powder – ½ teaspoon
  • Red Pepper Flakes – ½ teaspoon
  • Green Onions – a handful, chopped


Directions:
  • Take a big bowl because it makes the stirring easier. If the Cream Cheese is too stiff put it in the bowl and microwave for 10-15 seconds.
  • Combine the Cream Cheese and Sour Cream in the bowl and stir until combined and smooth. If necessary, thin out the dip by whisking in more sour cream, a tablespoon at a time. 
  • Mix in the spices (Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Chaat Masala, Cumin Powder and 
  • Red Pepper Flakes). Stir to combine.
  • Taste to adjust the spices. Mix half of the Green Onions in the dip and chill. 
  • Garnish with the remaining Green Onions before serving.



Love Homemade dips? They are not that difficult to make right! Try these as well:

2 comments:

  1. #lifewithoutalu #maryberry #BBCFood #sourcreamdip #foodfeed #pregnancycravings #eeeeeats #eatfamous #deliciousfood #Delish
    #dip #foodphotography #pregnancycraving #chipsanddip #lowcarbrecipes #keto #madeathome #Homemade #f52grams #creamy
    #thecookfeed #instafood #lowcarb #lowcarbhighfat #foodfood #sharphome #recipes #chipsanddips #easyrecipes #lowcarbdiet

    @skyemcalpine @kimberleyhasselbrink @ashrod @dollyandoatmeal @ladyandpups @evakomasflores @alisoneroman @gatherandfeast @saladforpresident @lindsaymaitland @foodnetwork @foodandwine @bonappetitmag @saveurmag @cooksillustrated @cocorestaurantnyc @cookinglight @tasteofhome @thenakedfoodaddict @bbcgoodfood @real_simple @gatherjournal @ediblebrooklyn @_everyday_food @eatingwell @sarah_c_owens @whatforbreakfast @dennistheprescott @issycroker @judy.kim @thaliaho @mollyyeh @bliu07 @xlbcr @silverspies @julskitchen @blondieandrye @minimalistbaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. #lifewithoutalu #keto #ketomeals #ketorecipes #recipeontheblog #recipeonblog #lowcarb #highfat #homemade #homemadefood #diprecipe #dip #addictive #supereasy #easyrecipes #easyrecipe #easyrecipesathome #5minuterecipes #budgetfriendly #party #familygathering #potluck #potluckfood #snack #snacks #snacktime #snackideas #sourcream #sourcreamdip #creamcheese

    ReplyDelete

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.