Featuring over 350 tried and tested recipes that can be prepared at home. From comfort food to restaurant style. Plus 110+ articles on Kitchen and Cooking Tips, Restaurant Reviews and more.

Sunday 4 July 2021

Turnip Pear Broccoli Yellow Squash


Broccoli is a great way to introduce greens in your baby’s diet. The other ways are of course Beans (Green and French) and leafy vegetables (like Spinach, Red Chard and Collard Greens). Personally I don’t like Broccoli too much. Once in a while is ok, I like it sautéed with garlic or steamed with some garlic butter on top. Debarshi loves it. I would like baby Prisha to be more like him, a person with a balanced diet. So Broccoli, here we come!

If you feel that making homemade baby food is too much task, buy a small pressure cooker. I am telling you, there is nothing more satisfying than buying freshest organic vegetables and fruits and making a homemade meal for your baby. And don’t get me wrong, I do like readymade baby foods. In fact, I always keep some handy so that I can offer baby Prisha some variety. But I don’t like the idea of buying a bag full of readymade foods with of course so much money. You pick up a couple packs of organic foods and it adds up to quite an amount. As your baby grows so does the number of trips to the grocery shops. You can get a lot more ingredients with the same amount of money and prepare them fresh whenever you have time. Just imagine the spices and herbs you can add to make the purees more appetizing. Sounds fun right!

Now before we move on to the recipe, would you like to read a poem? I used to write poems in school and submit them to the local magazines. My mom found a couple of poems the other day and sent them to me. Not sure if they are any good but they brought back all the memories. This one is named: God – Secret of good thoughts


 ~*~ God – Secret of good thoughts ~*~

One day as I was walking down the street
My heart was heavy and my head down with the heat

I was worried and totally baffled
After thinking day and night, my energy had also died

For deciding about the future is not an easy task
Yes! It may take a second if you have experience from the past

But sometimes the experience doesn’t work
If you are indefinite about the results

After thinking a lot when I found no solution
I felt helpless and all alone in this world

And as I was thinking the road has come to an end
A streak of light was seen somewhere in the far end

That light showed me the right way out
As I heard a voice gentle but loud

‘O human! You may forget me in your happy times
You may not remember your promises made at the hard times

But I remembered you and I have forgiven you
Time and again

Cause if it’s error to human
Then it’s forgive to divine

Now go and take the right step.

I was amazed and spellbound
And my heart knew no bounds

When I learnt I have got the right solution
I felt as if I was in the heaven

Today I am happy because I have found God
This is the secret of my good thoughts

Serve the humanity, serve the God
He is with us, call him
Whenever in doubts.



Ingredients:
  • Turnip – ½ cup, peeled, cut in cubes
  • Pear – 1, cut in cubes, stem and core removed
  • Yellow Squash – 1 cup, ends cut, cut in cubes
  • Broccoli – 1 cup, cut in cubes, ends of stems cut
  • Salt – a pinch

Directions:
  • Wash the vegetables and fruit thoroughly.
  • Place the ingredients (except the Pear) into the pressure cooker. You can also use a heavy saucepan. Add ½ cup of water.
  • Cover and cook over medium heat for 3-4 whistles or until the vegetables are tender.
  • Let them cool down completely then use half of the water (in which they were cooked) to make the puree. Add the Pear and puree using a blender or Nutri bullet. Keep adding 1-2 tablespoons of water till the puree is smooth enough for your baby.
  • You can keep the puree for 1-2 days in the fridge.

Try these Baby Food purees as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question/ suggestion/ feedback? Post it here and I will get back to you :-)
Please do not post links or spams, those comments won't be published.